June 04, 2013

The job I almost had but thank goodness I didn't



The art director called me to do the paintings for this commercial. He said they needed a landscape painter to do paintings that would appear in a Subaru commercial about a guy who used his Subaru to travel to remote locations to sketch. The paintings would be meant to capture the beauty of each location.

As often happens in TV they pulled out at the last minute saying there was a story change and they were changing the tone of the artwork they wanted to use.

I love how the commercial turned out and I'm so glad my work was deemed inappropriate for it :)

You can see my landscape sketching blog here and the whole enchilada here. They are mostly 30 minute sketchbook studies with the occasional larger work.

8 comments:

Nacho y said...

Hahahaha!. I wasn't expecting to see those paintings!! :D

d-vallejo said...

Too bad. I think they were on the right track to begin with. Having your work would have taken their idea to a whole different level, adding a more serious, committed element to their line of cars symbolizing that what they produce is unique. I can't imagine what they had in mind when excellence sat before them and instead they chose to pander to inexperience and childish crudeness.

Is that level of quality supposed to be the measure of passion they think American's connect and identify with?

Maybe what they're trying to say is... One can act the part but an obviously inferior mind (what else could that foolish portrayal of an artist be) can never produce something of quality, no matter how hard they try.

Of course, it makes me wonder about the quality of their cars.

Betty said...

It reminds me of when I got my frenchie 10 years ago. It was for Christmas and my paintings were just as bad, but it woke something inside that I hope never goes to sleep. That easel is retired, but the passion it lit burns strong.

fredpalacio said...

Maybie for the next BMW or Mercedes add !

Celeste Bergin said...

I love everything about this...including the "surprise" ending that the painter is a passionate painter with no training. Thanks for sharing this with us!

twistedarrow said...

Well, an unexpected twist, but I agree with d-Vallejo, they should have stuck with the original concept. I guess marketing decided there are far more amateurs than professionals with deep pockets, ha. Thanks for sharing! Luann

Joe Tirasuwan said...

Your landscape sketching blog was amazing! Thank you for sharing this Mr. Fowkes. Huge inspiration for me!

Anderson Baptista said...

It would be even funnier if they had you also as the actor but switching to to the new paintings in the end. :-)